Malaysia History |Last Race For The Turf Club
23 August 1992, Kuala Lumpur: The 96 year old Selangor Turf Club held its last race after being a landmark of the city in Ampang for almost a century.
The club, which opened in March 1896 under the chairmanship of Sir Frank Swettenham, was giving way to planned Kuala Lumpur City Centre project.
‘The Old Lady’, as many fondly call the racecourse, would be relocated to its new grounds in Sungai Besi, off the Kuala Lumpur-Seremban highway.
The new track would include a grandstand with capacity of 20,000, the latest betting facilities, closed circuit television coverage of races and modern stables for the racehorses.