5 areas in Sabah, 2 in Kedah to come under EMCO

PETALING JAYA: Five areas in Sabah and two in Kedah will be placed under an enhanced movement control order (EMCO) from June 26 to July 9 after a rise in Covid-19 cases in these areas.

In a statement today, senior minister for security Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the Tawau prison and the Taman Ehsan staff quarters will be placed under lockdown after 14 of the 66 tests conducted in the areas returned positive.

Meanwhile in the state capital of Kota Kinabalu, Kampung Muhibbah will also be placed under EMCO after 12 of 18 tests conducted in the area came back positive.

An EMCO will also be enforced in Kampung Kuala Merotai, Kalabakan, after 13 of the 26 people tested there were positive for the virus.

Kampung Tahak in Membakut, Beaufort, will be placed under lockdown after 11 of the 98 tests conducted in the area returned positive.

In Sandakan, the Indah Jaya flats will also be under EMCO after 11 of 252 tests conducted there returned positive.

Meanwhile in Kedah, the Tuanku Sultanah Bahiyah Polytechnic in Kuala Kulim and the Bestgrade industrial area in Pokok Sena will also be under EMCO after 22 cases and 27 cases were detected there respectively.

A total of 423 tests were conducted at the polytechnic while 38 tests were conducted at the industrial area.

Ismail also announced the end of the EMCO at Kampung Tajin in Kuala Berang, Terengganu; Ladang Tereh Mill in Kluang, Johor; Kampung Lakai, Jelebu, Negeri Sembilan; and Kampung Kolong 2 in Kuching, Sarawak.

They are all set to end at 11.59pm tomorrow.

He also announced the end of the EMCO at several areas in Batang Oya in Mukah, Sarawak, at the same time and date.

Apart from the Bala anak Umba, Tulu anak Sli, Duah anak Entingi and Balik anak Gema longhouses, SK St Luke and the Nanga Baoh clinic will also end their lockdowns at 11.59pm tomorrow.

The lockdown in three areas in Temerloh, Pahang – Taman Temerloh Jaya, Taman Temerloh Jaya Indah and Taman Temerloh Makmur – will also end at 11.59pm tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Ismail said police arrested 761 people for breaching MCO rules yesterday. Of that number, 741 were fined, 19 remanded and one was granted bail.

The offences include eating at premises and crossing state or district lines without permission (197), failure to wear a face mask (152), failure to register personal details prior to entering premises (127) and not maintaining physical distancing (100).

The authorities also detained 14 undocumented migrants yesterday as part of the ongoing Op Benteng. Six vehicles were also seized.

Ismail also said that between May 24 last year and June 23 this year, some 232,385 people who arrived through KLIA had been screened for Covid-19 and placed under quarantine.

A total of 2,785 tested positive and were treated at hospitals while 221,701 have been allowed to return home. Another 7,899 people are currently undergoing mandatory quarantine. -FMT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: